Changing your lifestyle is only half the equation when adjusting to a chronic illness. Your attitude and emotional needs require attention as well. Here is some advice to consider:
- Give yourself permission to ask for help from friends, family and even strangers.
- Accept help when it is offered.
- Maintain relationships with people who are important in your life.
- Find ways to give back to those who help you in order to keep your friendships balanced. Pace yourself whether at work or play. Stop and rest when you start to feel tired.
- Break tasks into manageable bits and deal with them one at a time.
- Be nice to yourself. Expecting too much stresses both your bones and your mind.
More about Living Well with Osteoporosis:
Information on Falls and Daily Living
Information on Fractures and Resources