Preventing Falls in the Bathroom
- Grab bars are a proven way to make the bathroom safer. Grab bars need to be secured into wall studs, so get professional help.
- Rubber tub mats or adhesive strips can prevent disastrous falls in the tub.
- Floor mats should have rubber backings.
- If you find it hard getting in and out of the bath, or standing for any length of time under the shower, a bath chair or seat that fits across the bath and a hand-held shower will help.
- If it is difficult to sit down on and get up from the toilet, there are devices that will help, such as a riser for the seat or a frame with arm rests.
- Use a night light in the bathroom so you arenÂ’t fumbling around in the dark at night.
- A shower organizer will help organize all of your soaps, shampoos and other bath products so that they are in easy reach and you do not need to bend over.