Preventing Falls in the Bathroom
- Grab bars are a proven way to make the bathroom safer. Grab bars need to be secured into wall studs, so get professional help.
- Rubber tub mats or adhesive strips can prevent disastrous falls in the tub.
- Floor mats should have rubber backings.
- If you find it hard getting in and out of the bath, or standing for any length of time under the shower, a bath chair or seat that fits across the bath and a hand-held shower will help.
- If it is difficult to sit down on and get up from the toilet, there are devices that will help, such as a riser for the seat or a frame with arm rests.
- Use a night light in the bathroom so you arenÂ’t fumbling around in the dark at night.
- A shower organizer will help organize all of your soaps, shampoos and other bath products so that they are in easy reach and you do not need to bend over.
More about Living Well with Osteoporosis:
Information on Falls and Daily Living
Information on Fractures and Resources