Toll-free Information Line
English: 1-800-463-6842 / French: 1-800-977-1778
The information line is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.(EST), Monday to Friday. At other times, callers may leave a message to have their call returned by a counsellor during business hours.
A bilingual toll-free information line gives you access to knowledgeable and understanding people who will answer your questions, send relevant information, and, when appropriate, refer you to available resources, such as a local Chapter of Osteoporosis Canada. Although not all the information counsellors have osteoporosis, they have all taken an intensive training program to introduce them to the essentials of the disease:
- What is osteoporosis?
- How is it diagnosed?
- What are the risk factors?
- Drug treatments
- Calcium nutrition
- Physical activity
- Living with osteoporosis
The toll-free information line was started in 1994, and over the years the counsellors have handled on average 10,000 calls per year, about 1/3 of which are in-depth counselling calls.
Customer Satisfaction call backs are conducted, and the responses have been very positive.
Typical comments include:
- counsellor “exuded interest and caring, more than expected,”
- “information is understandable, thorough,”
- counsellor was “knowledgeable, answered questions directly, was very professional,”
- information “well put together, very important for someone without knowledge of osteoporosis,”
- “thanks to everyone at Osteoporosis Canada – it is a fantastic service.”
A couple of OC’s friendly, knowledgable
1-800 line counsellors